Monday, May 31, 2010

The Asperger's Translator

Ever wondered how you can get your gloriously talented child to do something that needs to be done without having a complete meltdown when it's actually time to do it?
I have found a few ways to re-word what I say and it seems to help alleviate those meltdowns. This is not a panacea (one size fits all cure) but I think it might help some of you! Please let me know if these work for you and what else you have found that works.

(This particular segment of the blog will be update occasionaly with different wording translations.)

Neurotypical speech:
"In a half an hour, I want you to do such and such."

What should probably be said:

"It's now 1:15. At 1:45, I want you to do such and such."


I've personally experimented with this change of wording with my beautiful 11 year old Aspie daughter. It seems to work well. Keep in mind that if your child does not do what you said exactly at 1:45, he will within about 5 minutes from that time.

What re-wording have YOU found helpful?

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply my attempt to encourage and support those who find themselves suddenly on the journey through Aspergers. Please be supportive of everyone. If you just need to vent your frustration, please let us know that's what you're doing. HOWEVER, NO FOUL LANGUAGE OR MISUSE OF THE LORD'S NAME WILL BE TOLERATED.

Thank you for your understanding.

-Noble