Tuesday, February 16, 2016

When will I learn?

There is a Scripture verse in which the writer states when he was a child, he acted as a child; now that he is grown, he has left childish ways behind him.  (1 Corinthians 13:11) Today I'm wondering if I will ever get out of thinking like a child. What I mean by that is, while I am now a mom and have been for over seventeen years, I still don't "feel old enough" to be one and I'm certainly at a loss when it comes to what I call my daughter's Autism Days. Those are the days when absolutely nothing is going right in her world, and most likely won't, until the day is over and done with. It's like her specially wired brain short-circuits on those days and I don't know how to flip the switch or even know where the fuse box is!

This past weekend was a busy one; especially for my not disordered but differently ordered child. Sunday was a trip with her dad to the Arabian Horse Show. Monday was President's Day so Dad was not at work but at home and Monday afternoon was theatre class. Oh, and Monday was the first day of THAT time of the month for her. None of the first three things would be too much of a difference on their own but all three combined plus the fourth - I just think I should have seen this coming.
And yet, the part that still wants to 'fit in' with the world (be on someone else's timetable for accomplished work) pushed the academics today. Did that go well? I think you already know the answer to that.

I get frustrated because we're behind. At least, according to the standard (public school) schedule. But are my kids really behind? They know how to wash dishes, clean laundry, sweep and mop the floors. They know how to carry on an intelligible conversation with adults. They know how to read and write. They both know Jesus! That trumps everything.

So, where am I going with this spiel? To remind myself, and hopefully encourage others, that these days exist. Even if it's been weeks, maybe even months, since an Autism Day has showed up in all it's ugly-side glory!(note: I'm not saying Autism is all ugly. It's not. It just has its days.) These days will show up. So why am I surprised by them? I don't know.

What I do know is this: we are, ALL OF US, fearfully and wonderfully made (Psalm 139).
God is not surprised by anything we go through. And He can handle all our anxiety, even from our Aspie kids! 1 Peter 5:7

May YOU be encouraged that you are not alone in any of this!  Isaiah 40:31

-Noble

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply my attempt to encourage and support those who find themselves suddenly on the journey through Aspergers. Please be supportive of everyone. If you just need to vent your frustration, please let us know that's what you're doing. HOWEVER, NO FOUL LANGUAGE OR MISUSE OF THE LORD'S NAME WILL BE TOLERATED.

Thank you for your understanding.

-Noble