Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Why I Won't Obey (aka Meltdown Moment)

Last night at the end of dinner we had a Meltdown Moment. Parents, you know what these are: you ask your child to do a simple task but, because you didn't ask ahead of time, your kiddo (especially an Aspie) has a meltdown. That's what happened. I tried to figure out what was going on and how to make it better for all; my husband simply found himself getting impatient, as all of us who are NT seem to do.

When we had figured out the main mood of my daughter at that time was confusion, I asked her, "Are you confused because you don't know why we're asking you to help (clear the table) or are you confused because you don't know why you don't want to help?" she acknowledged that it was the second part of that question.

As I thought about that this morning, I also thought of how we as followers of Jesus often don't want to do what He asks of us. We want to do what WE want to do. Please don't ask us (even neurotypicals) to do something we deem unpleasant or not fun!

So, basically, I think the root of all discipline issues is our sin nature, regardless of whether we're neurotypical, Aspie, or something else. The difference is in the way that is communicated and understood. So now I'm at the beginning of my journey to help my precious Aspie, in her literal, black and white world, understand and internalize WHY Jesus asks us to do certain things, like obey our parents, and HOW she can do that in spite of herself.

What are your thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your insight! I have 3 special needs daughters who take turns (it seems) having meltdowns. Maybe next time I will remember this and not get as frustrated.
    Kayleen

    ReplyDelete

This blog is simply my attempt to encourage and support those who find themselves suddenly on the journey through Aspergers. Please be supportive of everyone. If you just need to vent your frustration, please let us know that's what you're doing. HOWEVER, NO FOUL LANGUAGE OR MISUSE OF THE LORD'S NAME WILL BE TOLERATED.

Thank you for your understanding.

-Noble