Tuesday, December 6, 2011

It's December?! Overwhelmed!

Please forgive me. Again. For once again I have been remiss in my responsibility of updating my blog. Do you ever feel so overwhelmed with everything that you just do nothing? Or you think, "I know, I know it needs to be done, I'll get to it a little later" and then it doesn't get done? I think that's what happened to me. There are times when it seems I have SO much facing me on the
"to do" list, I just get completely overwhelmed and don't do anything!

Are your Aspies like that? Do you give them a task or two or three to do and nothing gets done? You wonder why a task that should have taken 5 minutes is now taking an hour and a half or more because you have to stand there right next to your child to make sure it actually gets done. Then you get frustrated, you get impatient, and you YELL!!! Hmmm. That didn't work either, did it?

A couple of months back I couldn't understand why my 13yo Aspie daughter broke down when I told her to do a simple Language Arts assignment. Now, I realize that LA is probably her weakest academic area but this was something simple. Hmmm. Simple. Yes, it was simple. But not to an Aspie who had anactivityFridaySaturdaySundayandplayedwithfriendsandactivityonMondaytoo!

Hard to read? Yes. Read it s-l-o-w-l-y. I reckon the first time you looked at or even tried to read that string of words you felt an inner wall go up, you thought,"What?? That doesn't make any sense!" and you felt overwhelmed. Right?

Multiply that feeling by 10, 20, 30, maybe even a thousand, and that's how it seems to be for an Aspie on an almost daily basis at key moments.

I urge you, Dear Parent Friend, when you're Aspie begins to melt down or to go into what I call "shutdown mode", remember those times you have felt overwhelmed. Can you imagine having to face that feeling practically every day and not know exactly what to do about it?

Our children look to us for training or guidance (yes, really,they do! I promise!). Let's not berate them when they feel helpless.

I Peter 5:7 states "Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you."

Proverbs 3:5-6 states "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways, acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths."

May we both let those two passages of Scripture be an encouragement to us when we're anxious and don't have any clue as to what to do with or for our differently-wired children!

-Noble

1 comment:

  1. Excellent, excellent post! As a parent of three children with no (apparent) special needs, I can say that this applies to ALL children. We are their guides, examples, teachers. Let's not berate them when they feel helpless. Amen.

    I am typing this up and putting your quote in my teacher book. Thank you for posting.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is simply my attempt to encourage and support those who find themselves suddenly on the journey through Aspergers. Please be supportive of everyone. If you just need to vent your frustration, please let us know that's what you're doing. HOWEVER, NO FOUL LANGUAGE OR MISUSE OF THE LORD'S NAME WILL BE TOLERATED.

Thank you for your understanding.

-Noble