Monday, August 6, 2012

Forgive me?

How are you? Have you been having a good summer? Great summer? Terrible summer?
I've been thinking for awhile that I need to visit here and update the blog. I had NO idea that
I hadn't been here since April! So, I ask your forgiveness.

Yep, if I were you, I might roll my eyes, too, or think, "You know she's going to do this again",
etc. And you're both justified and correct. However, remember this blog is not really about you or
me but about facing and dealing with the challenges of Asperger's Syndrome. So please don't let
my faults keep you away from occasional good information!

Speaking of forgiveness, do you sometimes find it difficult to forgive the Aspie in your life? When the Aspie in your life has a meltdown do you ever think (and I know you do!), "Again? Why can't they CONTROL it? What is it THIS time?" Or the Aspie in your life does something that you think they should KNOW not to do? And then when it's pointed out that their action was wrong, they either shrug or don't do anything, including saying they're sorry. Annoying, isn't it?

Remember, Asperger's Syndrome is a different order, a different wiring of the brain, not necessarily a disorder. So, the answers to the above questions are: yes, again. No, he/she probably cannot control the meltdown. They may not even know what caused it. And one of the best explanations I heard as to why they don't say they're sorry:

     "If they did it on accident and you know it was an accident, why should they have to say they're sorry?
      If they did it on purpose, then they're not sorry, so why should they have to say they're sorry?"

Most of us know that it's polite to say you're sorry. The Aspie in your life may not yet know that or may simply need reminding. Or it may never make sense to them and they won't ever say they're sorry. We must be forgiving. Don't fault your Aspie for the different wiring of his/her brain. God has a plan for him/her using just the brain he gave him/her. And the result of that plan may very well surprise you!

As for those of us who are neurotypical (aka, erroneously, normal), perhaps the Aspie in our life will some day see fit to forgive us for our difficulty in accepting someone whose brain is wired differently!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply my attempt to encourage and support those who find themselves suddenly on the journey through Aspergers. Please be supportive of everyone. If you just need to vent your frustration, please let us know that's what you're doing. HOWEVER, NO FOUL LANGUAGE OR MISUSE OF THE LORD'S NAME WILL BE TOLERATED.

Thank you for your understanding.

-Noble